This winter has brought record levels of snow to Toronto and Southern Ontario. There have already been periods of melting and then re-freezing and the spring promises to bring more cyclical weather with it. Not only does the changeable weather hamper your ability to get around safely it can also have a real impact on your home.
Municipalities are aware of the risks that come with fluctuating temperatures when there has been an over-abundance of snow. Depending on the proximity of waterways in the community, the ability to keep up clearing the excess snow away and keep the water basins clear from ice and debris. Officials do their best to keep residents on the alert to flood risks. You need to do your part to protect your basement.
Possible causes for water to get into your basement can include faults in the walls or flooring of your basement; poor drainage on your property; eavestroughs that are clogged with debris; or a blocked drainage system. Water takes the path of least resistance and will find a way to flow if steps aren’t taken to keep it out. During periods of extreme weather or periods of daytime thawing and overnight freezing, the pressure against your foundation masonry can cause it to break.
Things to check:
- Look for cracks or crumbling masonry on the floors and walls of the basement
- Check windows and doors to ensure seals are in place
- Make sure the eavestroughs have been cleared of leaves or other debris from the fall
- Ensure the downspouts are not connected to the sewer system and drain away from the base of your foundation walls
- Make sure the soil is graded away from the outside of your foundation walls
Things to do:
- Have professionals provide you estimates for a basement waterproofing project
- Get a backwater valve installed
- Have a sump pump with a battery back-up installed
Protecting your basement is simple. Call in the professionals at City Wide Group. Their experienced technicians will inspect your basement, make recommendations for a basement waterproofing project, provide you with an estimate of time and cost. When they’re done, you will have a dry basement and a fully-transferable lifetime warranty. With more than 50 years in the industry, they know basements! Winner of the Consumer Choice Awards for 23 consecutive years, check out their website for customer testimonials.